Would you like an email notification of new blog entries?

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Post Treatment Follow Up Appointment

Radiation Ended - December 2, 2011
Chemotherapy Ended - August 29, 2011

Yesterday was the first time I had been to the medical oncologist since my chemotherapy ended.  It, as always, was a very short visit.  

I told Dr. Butler about the shooting type pains on both sides of my chest and he explained that it may be ligaments that I'm feeling.  I told him about how my legs are EXTRA tired all the time....they're weak and they hurt more than I can ever remember....he said that over the last six months or so that I'd been through "a lot" and it would take time to build up my strength....walking was mentioned as a way to build it up.  (Personally, I don't know how I'm not the skinniest and person in the world - exaggeration of course - chasing after Macy and Molly.)

He said, "You're doing great.  We'll call you if anything doesn't look right with your bloodwork."  Well...those of you who know me well know that I wanted to know exactly what the bloodwork said.  This appointment has been looming over me for a while and I needed more than just a general, 'you look great' kind of statement.  So, the nurse sweetly offered to call me with the results.  The blood cancer test they do for 'breast cancer tumor markers' is called the CA 15-3 test, and it takes about an hour and a half to process.  

She called me when I was just two minutes away from my photo session appointment of a precious 10 day old newborn.   I was having a hard time hearing her, but she said that my number was 12.8.....down from 28 in April of 2011.  My immediate question was, "What is the normal range?"  She explained that 35 and below was considered normal.  Hmmmm.   I want ZERO.  I said it to her nicer than that and she explained that there are lots of people who get lots more treatment than I have had and they never make it to zero.

So, when I got home and had some time, I read what I could about it.  This website was the best one I could find.  Basically, I'm less concerned after reading this website than I was.  It is kind of hard to sum up...so, please check it out if this interests you or would help you.  

Every time that I'm typing on this blog, I think about who might be reading my post later.  And, being the big sap that I am, I think about all of you who were caregivers to me throughout this process.  Thank you again.  I wish I could send this card out to all of you, but here's our Christmas card this year, with all of you in mind.  I hope you have a wonderful holiday!  



1 comment: