Would you like an email notification of new blog entries?

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Reflections

A week before my radiation ended, one of my long time and dear friends, Ruth, got in touch with me to tell me that her sweet Mom had passed away.  My heart sunk, fast and hard.  This family is a very loving family and very close....and I had always marveled at how close my friend was to her Mom.  Mrs. Lackey's funeral was incredibly special....a thoughtful and meaningful tribute to the Godly life she lived and the investment she made in her family and the community.  Sitting in the sanctuary, listening to the service, I learned many things...and realized many things.  Too many for me to do justice to here.  Not only was the sincerity of the words spoken that day incredibly touching, but, as a fellow cancer patient, I sat there realizing that several of my caregivers were seated in the sanctuary, too.  So much love and so much emotion go into helping someone through their struggle with cancer treatment.  Ruth and her Daddy had cared for Mrs. Lackey so sweetly.  That service kind of sent me in to a quite time of reflection...hence my absence from this blog for a while.

The pastor surprised me that day when he made a point of saying that Mrs. Lackey had not lost her battle to cancer.  Months ago, I told Charles that I don't like that phrase "lost the battle with cancer"....because, as weak as the cancer patient may look on the outside, there's a great deal of strength on the inside.   So, I was glad to hear the pastor's twist on that phrase that is so commonly used.  (I've used it too, it is one of those "thoughts and prayers" type phrases that just rolls out of us, along with great intentions.)

Mrs. Lackey's life was one well lived and her memorial service made me want to be a better person and inspired me to be a better mother and wife.

My love continues to go out to you, Ruth, and your Daddy, and all of your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment