Would you like an email notification of new blog entries?

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Out and About

Not many people say anything to me about my baldness when I'm out and about.  And only a very few folks have even let it show that they notice my big ol' white, bald head. 

Today, I was grocery shopping and because the only way I know to grocery shop economically is to buy for a two week period at a time, the cart was pretty full.  I let the lady behind me in line go in front of me with her single item....and she was so thankful.  She commented on how much food I was buying, and I laughed and said, "I don't get out much."  She must have thought I meant because of cancer and so she asked me how was everything going and how was I feeling.  I smiled and said, "Oh, it is because I have twin one year olds that I don't get to the grocery store often."  She was very kind and said she wished me the best.  It felt really good and I could see the sincerity in her eyes.

Then, in the parking lot as I was putting the groceries into my car, I heard, "So, how long since you were diagnosed?"  (Before I ever saw a person.)  I looked up and smiled to answer a lady with short hair and a big smile....who I later noticed was wearing a sleeve to help with her lymphadema.  She was a super nice lady and shared with me that she was a survivor of 4 years and was doing great. 

I'm writing this post to say that if you see someone out and about walking around like baldy baldersox here, they may really like it if you acknowledged what they're going through.  So many people have said to me that they really don't know WHAT to say....so, as I was thinking back on the day, I thought I'd share about these two ladies.  I was glad that both of them decided to speak to me. 

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment