Would you like an email notification of new blog entries?

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Saturday, September 24, 2011

How It's Going

I just finished my second full week back at school.  Last week, I was absolutely exhausted by the time Friday rolled around.  This week, I'm feeling a good bit stronger. 

My students are handling my bald head very well...I take my hat off while I'm in my classroom lots.  Several have asked to rub my head....one asked if she could "pet" my head the other day.  :)

My hair is steadily growing.  To the outsider, it just looks like I'm bald with a little peach fuzz....but to me, I can really tell the difference between how I looked at the end of my treatments.  It is funny, and I laugh inwardly at myself, when I realize I'm staring at myself in the rear view mirror.  I'm fascinated by my own head!  My "fuzz" is getting thicker and longer....and darker.  The kids at school say that the top looks blonde and the sides/back look brown.  Uh oh!  We'll see!

There's a sweet, sweet teacher at school, April Dixon, who has shown support for me and my journey since the day before my first treatment.  Last school year, she had her students come down to make a special presentation to me on the day before chemo #1.  This year, she has taught her students about me and my situation and those students have shown me so much love!  I get hugs from them left and right - literally!  I love it.  Love it!  So, the other day, when a little girl came up to me in Food Lion and hugged me while I was in the checkout line, and then ran back to her mom and said, "That's the lady who has cancer." ...I instantly thought of April, what she's taught her students and April's sweet Mom who is also a survivor....thank you ladies!! 

This Tuesday afternoon, I'm going to meet with the Radiation Oncologist for the first of two preliminary appointments before my actual radiation treatments start.  Once they start, I'll go every day (Monday - Friday) for approximately 6 weeks. 

Once I have that appointment, I'll post some details.  I'm eager to get the ball rolling. 

I hope you're having a good week, too. 

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are getting some energy and hair back! :) Know that on this "leg" of your journey you have a few new supporters!

    Good luck with your appointment on Tuesday.

    Betsy

    ReplyDelete