Would you like an email notification of new blog entries?

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Radiation Oncology Consultation

I met with Dr. Neglia today for the first time.  I liked his demeanor and I learned a lot.  I'm so glad to finally get the show on the road.

What the appointment was like:
  • Lots of paperwork before my visit
  • Nurse takes vitals
  • Nurse shows a 10 minute video - very helpful, thorough - about the main topics related to radiation
  • Doctor examines you
  • Doctor discusses your history and your upcoming treatment
  • Questions answered
  • Nurse reviews paperwork/information with you
  • Prescription given for gel to help with skin irritation
What I learned:
  • I'll have 33 radiation treatments
  • The first 27 will treat the whole breast (right side)
  • The last 6 will be to the lumpectomy cavity only
  • Without radiation, 40-50% of patients would have a recurrence within 15 years.....with it, the chance is  brought down to 8%....I'm not sure if I worded that right....but I like the big drop from 40 down to 8
  • The main side effects that are possible are fatigue and skin irritation
  • Each treatment will last about 10 minutes
  • Every Monday, I'll have a check up visit with Dr. Neglia for him to monitor my reactions
  • Every Thursday, I'll have blood drawn to track my levels....of what, I'm not totally clear
  • I won't be able to see or feel the radiation beams
  • The beams are incredibly precise....I was amazed by the way the video described this precision
  • Semi-permanent marks will be placed in the area that I need to be careful not to scrub off
  • Next Tuesday,  I'll have my "simulation" appointment where they will measure and mark the area...and do a localized CAT scan to check their precision
  • If I understand it correctly, I'll start radiation next Wednesday
On a side note, I happened to catch a story on the news tonight about cancer fighting foods!  I liked all of them...yay!  They were:
  • Walnuts
  • Avocados
  • Black Raspberries
  • Raspberries
  • Some type of orange juice from a fruit like mango, or something....I missed it
I hope you're having a great day!

Please, please do your montly breast exams...and schedule your mammograms as regularly as recommended!  I promise you, if you're ever in my shoes, the words "early detection" will mean so very much to you!

1 comment:

  1. Soooooo glad you felt comfortable with your doctor and your planning session!

    ReplyDelete