Would you like an email notification of new blog entries?

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Breast Cancer Awareness Month


During October, you see lots of fundraising efforts going on for Breast Cancer Awareness.  I recently posted about a local softball team who participated in a Breast Cancer Fundraiser type tournament.

Last Saturday, I took the girls to Lugoff Elgin High School's gym because our beloved Mrs. Tanja (who watches the girls) invited me to come.  Mrs. Tanja along with a few other folks worked very hard to make this tournament a successful fundraiser for the cause of breast cancer.  When I walked in the gym, there was pink everywhere....a banner for survivors to sign.....pink cupcakes.....a table with a huge variety of items to buy for the cause (many HAND MADE and HAND CRAFTED by Mrs. Tanja --- mom to four very active children!!).  I was even pinned with a pink carnation to signify that I was a survivor!  I was so encouraged to see people come together to raise awareness and funds for this cause.  This was a tournament for girls volleyball teams and I hope there are pink memories embedded in their minds now. 

As I mentioned quite a while back, my type of cancer (Triple Negative Breast Cancer) is newly understood and differentiated from other cancers.  So, that being said, there is a very limited amount that they can do for you if you have a recurrence.  The 5 year cancer pill (Tamoxifen) that many people take after their chemo treatment, for example, isn't effective for triple negative cancer. 

It struck me the other day how glad I am to see those pink ribbons on everything from yogurt to tennis balls in the store to billboard signs along the road.

So, I am very thankful that money is being spent to fund continued research.  Susan G. Komen for the Cure recently funded a major effort specifically for Triple Negative Breast Cancer research.  So, you can bet, when I see that symbol on products, I'm more apt to buy them.

No comments:

Post a Comment