Would you like an email notification of new blog entries?

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Sunday, October 23, 2011

What is Radiation Like?


I've finished my first week of radiation and it has been no big deal at all.   I realize that over time, my skin may start to have reactions and I may feel fatigue, but, so far, so good.

So, the steps leading up to the actual treatments are to have a 'marking' appointment and then a second 'marking' appointment.  After the 1st one, I left with 3 marks.  After the 2nd appointment, I left with lots more...and they come up high enough that they show if I wear a V-neck shirt...which stinks because I already have so few clothes that fit and now, that stash is whittled down further. 

The marks they make on you are in blue paint pen, then covered with transparent adhesive circles.  Macy and Molly really like the marks...they touch them with their little pointer fingers and laugh.  That makes me smile and turns an annoyance into something positive.

So, what is it like when you go in for a radiation treatment?
  • You put on a gown in the ladies' dressing area and have a seat while you wait to be called over the loud speaker.
  • When they call your name, you walk back to the area where the radiation rooms are and sign in with your technician (they are very kind, by the way).
  • You lay on a machine and the technicians adjust your body so that it lines up with the marks....they tell you not to help them which is funny because you feel compelled to....
  • Then you lift your arms above your head and hold on to two handles...they bind your feet with a large rubber band.
  • The first three days of your treatments take a little longer because they do x-rays before doing the treatment...but then, once those are done, when you go it is really fast!  (Like 5-6 minutes)
  • You resign yourself to 'letting it all hang out' just like when you have a baby or go through other treatments.  You're laying there exposed and on camera (which is monitored by your technician) and you just give in to it.
  • From what I understand, I'll have x-rays maybe twice  week...and on Mondays I'll meet with the doctor to review my bloodwork....the bloodwork is taken on Thursdays....haven't had any of that done yet.
As I wait each day for my name to be called, there is another lady who is in the waiting area....her story confirms my feelings that I have had a relatively easy time with my treatments.  She, too, has triple negative breast cancer.  Hers was Stage 3 and had gone into her lymph nodes.  She had a mastectomy...then 6 chemo treatments (at 3 week intervals) and then she had chemo EVERY Friday for two or three months.  Now, she's having her radiation treatments.  She has had about 20 or so and says that it has begun to really irritate her skin.  She's a positive person who works on a college campus and is trying to get the word out to the young ladies that they, too, need to be proactive with their health.

One of the technicians who does my treatments told me the other day that she had breast cancer and went through chemo and radiation there at her own place of work.  She said that it changed her in many ways and now she truly knows what it is like for the patients who lay on the treatment table.

And lastly, I finally got to meet one of the ladies I've been messaging back nd forth as she found out about her breast cancer.  She and I work in the same school district and have become friends.  She's got a heart of gold and it has been nice to have a buddy to go through this with!

Thankfully, my Pricipal and teaching partner are working with me and helping me so that I can leave work on time to make it to my appointments each day.  I leave school before dismissal in order to make it to SCOA for my 3:15 appointment time.  Thank you both!

No comments:

Post a Comment