Would you like an email notification of new blog entries?

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Mrs. Dixon's Class

A colleague of mine, April Dixon gave me the opportunity last week to come and talk with her 1st grade students about cancer. 

April is a wonderful teacher who is loving and it trickles down to her students.  Her Mom just recently finished treatments for breast cancer and so she invited me to come and talk to her students to help them understand a bit and help them not be scared when they see a person who is bald or has other health issues.

I enjoyed talking to them so much.  Their questions were so great....like "how'd you get cancer?" and "did you scream when you found out?"  After talking for a bit, I sat on the carpet in the middle of them and took my hat off and invited them to rub my head if they wanted.  At that point, a precious little one had scooted over to my side and had her hand on my knee.  There's a special little man in that class who had already gone through cancer treatments at such young age.  He is a sweetie and his eyes just dance with youth and joy.



These students hug me every time they can...and I love it.  I think it is wonderful that April is teaching her students compassion in addition to reading, 'riting, and 'rithmetic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment