Would you like an email notification of new blog entries?

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Chemo Treatment #2 - Bloom Where You are Planted

In what seems like another lifetime ago, I was at a function at church where the pastor's wife was teaching a lesson on this theme, "Bloom Where You are Planted".  It made an impression on me and it has come to mind many times over the years.  It is a great way to try to operate, especially in times of not-so-fun circumstances.  It surely does help you to bloom when you surround yourself with people who are like you, my amazing cheering squad.  Who couldn't be uplifed and happily rooted when you have such kind souls helping you along?


Yesterday was my 2nd chemo treatment.  It is funny because I have been thinking that going to chemo for the first time is a lot like it feels to go to school for the first time.  I actually thought a lot about what clothes would be right....and then I knew I was a newbie and others would be able to tell...especially since I had all my hair.  But yesterday, I felt more like a seasoned patient.  I knew the drill.  Last time the lady at the desk looked at me like, "Oh this must be your first time" when I handed her my paperwork.  What you're supposed to do is put it in the appropriate basket marked "Labs" or "Treatment".  You do labs/bloodwork first so that they can determine if your white blood cell count is strong enough.  If it isn't, they send you home.  Yuck.  Can you imagine?  You get all geared up....you line up help from everyone in the free world with your babies, and then you get sent home to wait a week. 

Then, after weighing in and blood pressure, you are taken to your spot in Dusty/Anne's section...like at a restaurant :).  There were two seats available....and I chose the one closest to the windows and the paintings.  It was a cozy, corner location.  Perfect for me and my friend, TE, to chat!

These paintings were painted by my oncologist, Dr. Butler. 
He has them on display in several places throughout the building.
I thought Tracy looked very pretty perched in front of that painting.
This time, I asked Dusty, one of my nurses if there was a way to avoid me being as loopy as I was last time from the get go.  So she decided to give me 1/2 of my ativan at the beginning and 1/2 at the end.  That helped a lot.  Then I could stay more clear minded (relatively speaking) and carry on conversation.

This is Dusty holding a prized possession, autographed picture
of James Brown who I believe stopped by this facility at some point
during his health battles.  Dusty has a big party this weekend as one
of her daughters turns the big 1-3 !!
This is Anne who I want to look like when my hair grows back....
Isn't her hairstyle so great?  I am definitely a new woman,
I may never have/want long hair again.
Anne and Dusty treat you like just normal folks...and they're fun and lighthearted....
look at pictures of my girls and share stories about their daughters.
Please know that I realize for some chemo patients, their treatments cannot be viewed lightheartedly for many reasons.  I totally respect that.  I am so thankful that I was blessed to find this cancer early enough to have the mindset that I do.

Speaking of early detection ---- have you you done your monthly self breast exam?  Do it just so you can know what YOUR 'normal is'.  Since being on this journey, I have learned about 20 year olds who found lumps and needed mastectomy surgery.  I truly truly hope that I can play a part in helping someone find their cancer EARLY so that you can be a lucky duck!

3 comments:

  1. You are a HOOT! And laughter is very good medicine! She DOES look like the flying nun- but you are much too young to remember that show! hehehe!
    I'll let you in on a little "secret", Angela- the next time you see Dr. Butler, tell him that you have heard that Diana Ross has visited SCOA and ask if you can see that prized picture! Yowza! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made it into your blog! It's very important to stay in the habit over the summer of taking attendance! ;-) I was so happy to be able to find you and say hello! Maybe I'll run into you there again sometime.

    Love you! Mandy Freeman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing as ever sweet girl. We've got you in our hearts! Aunt Jean

    ReplyDelete