Would you like an email notification of new blog entries?

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Friday, June 3, 2011

Heaven for Chemotherapy Patients - "Becky's Place"

Charles had encouraged me to find a place where I could go and try some wigs on....so, I found Becky's Place (named after a lady who had ovarian cancer and who was a part of getting the funding behind this important community service).   Becky's Place is at Lexington Medical Center and is awesome!

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, when and if you know someone facing a mastectomy or chemotherapy/hair loss.....this is another great place to send them!   This is a beautifully decorated, wonderfully stocked, heavenly, treat you like a princess kind of shop where you can enjoy dealing with your hair loss.  Andrea and Angie were the ladies who helped me and not for one minute was I self concious or nervous or anything. 

This morning, I got up and wondered about my hair......it has kind of been like a quiet snow drift....a little comes out here...then nothing.....then, a little there....nothing big yet.   Then, I packed up our entire house and took the girls to KA's house who very graciously agreed to watch them while she had company in town and on the day before she leaves for the beach!  THANK YOU, KA, so much!

On the way to "Becky's Place", I called Ken and told him that Charles wants to 'plane' my hair....and then we'll come in to his shop on Tuesday evening and he'll take it the rest of the way down if needed....he'll have my headband ready then, too.

So, at Becky's Place, Andrea carefully listened to what I wanted and skillfully chose box after box of wigs....all very fun....all a little different!  I couldn't believe how much fun it was to try on wigs!!  You sit in a pretty little room with a beautiful vanity and they help you narrow down your choices. 


Doesn't look like much, but, the beginning of my hair loss.
One reason to get a short hair cut before you start to loose
your hair is because you don't want lots of long, long
hair everywhere.

Your visit starts with a nylon cap to hold down your hair....
Can you see all the boxes of wigs they have in stock?
They also can order a wig for you if you're not sure and
if it doesn't turn out to be 'the one', you do not have to pay!


Andrea started our search out with this many wigs!
She told me after each one to decide if it was one
that should go back in the box, or if it was go
on one of the three hooks.....

....and here are the three that made the cut to go on the hooks....
but, alas, I didn't choose any of those.
Most of you know that I'm not
a very good decision
maker.  But, when I
saw this one....






I searched no longer.
Just kidding! 

I have it narrowed down to two....and will go back and try them on when they come in from being ordered.  Then, I'll show you my new 'do!


Here's the link to get more information about Becky's Place:
http://www.lexmed.com/medical-services/womens-services/beckys-place.aspx

5 comments:

  1. Angela, I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pink is the new brown! I like the one with the yellow tags, short and sassy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you have had a great experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When my Mom got her first wig, she put her head too close in the oven to check on what was cooking and it melted her bangs - be careful! She didn't know that was a possibility - ha! Sometimes you just have to laugh. Go cute and sassy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Angela, I have been keeping up with your posts,bless you for doing this. You are an inspiration to me and many others I'm sure. When I read your account of your haircut and your daddy, I cried and Eddie said just tell her her true beauty is much more than hair etc. And remember, it will be back before you know it and yes it's much nicer to be bald in the summer! BTW I am halfway through my treatment and haven't lost my eyelashes or eyebrows, they have thinned some but I just fill in with pencil. I hope you are able to get the rest you need; fatigue and constipation have been my biggest problems.
    I love your short do; you look great.
    I'm praying for you and your family daily and put you on my SS class prayer list. Please let me know if I can help in any way. Love you, Jan

    ReplyDelete