Would you like an email notification of new blog entries?

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Finally Going Bald!

On Monday, June 6, Charles set up a little kid friendly barber shop on our back patio in order to finally shave my hair.  I say finally because once you hear that you will be on chemotherapy, you start to try to envision what it will be like to lose your hair.  You slowly come to terms with it....and then you're ready to do it because your hair starts coming out in fistfuls and that can be kinda gross. 

I'm actually kind of glad to have to go through this process because now I know how much I like having short hair!  That is part of the silver lining.  I am already missing my short hair do....but had a great time putting away all the hair stuff in my bathroom...like my curling iron, flat iron, hair clips, hair brush, blow dryer...my bathroom counter has lots less on it!  Also, I've always been kinda jealous of people who had short hair and of guys because of how much less their shower/getting ready time is dominated by the hair part of the process.....I've always thought, "How nice it would be to not have to worry about your hair...".  Well.....  now I know!  :)

"Before"
My barber...my husband....my caregiver.....my friend....a good man


As Charles cut, I sang songs to the girls .... "You are my sunshine..." , "Zaccheus was a wee little man..." and "I'm a little teapot".  Charles was very careful and told me he loved me a few times and told me I was doing great.  :) 
Our little scene....

Now, back when I was taking ideas for new short hairstyles to lead up to me getting used to my hair loss, my good friend, Tajia, mentioned several times that she really wanted me to get a mohawk.  So, Tajia, this picture is for you!

















Once I looked at myself, I wasn't as shocked as I had anticipated.  I guess having so much time to prepare for it mentally helped a lot.  But, don't get me wrong...it is a crazy thing to look at your reflection and see 'baldy baldersox' (another blogger's term).....especially when you've had long hair all your life, until recently. 


Checking out the look that I had tried to envision since I heard
sweet Nurse Daphne say the word, "chemotherapy".  Not as bad as I had thought!
See that scar above my ear?  That's from my big wreck back in 1996! 

I let the girls touch my head and see me up close and they didn't seem to think much of it.
That is one of the blessings in the timing of this event in my life, because
they don't understand and they love so freely & openly....and don't know to be
embarrassed by my drastic change in looks.

Macy, checking out my new look....


"After......."
Ok, so remember, I don't want my baldness and hair loss and chemo to be the elephant in the room.  I'm laying it all out there because I want to 'keep it real' as the young folks say.  Hope this post isn't too shocking for anyone.  Sharing these pictures helps me. 

Thanks in advance for your support and kind words!
I love y'all and I know you love me.
Thank you.


PS - As you know, Charles shaved his hair as well as a show of support....I'll post a picture of him soon!

15 comments:

  1. Angela....You my dear are the most beautifulest woman with out/hair/I have ever had the privilege to know. I am so darn proud of you! Your attitude is amazing and because of that you will come through this bump in the road, with some dents, lumps, and other nefarious things but you will be a winner in every other way possible. Keeping on keeping on. Love You dear lady. LSJL

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look FABULOUS! If we all looked that good, the GI Jane-do would be the new rage. Hope you are feeling as good as you look!
    Amy McCabe

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU look BEAUTIFUL! You and your constant positive attitude are such a blessing and example for others!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are beautiful...inside and out...with or without hair!! Thanks for sharing your journey with us all through your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG... I LOVE THE MOHAWK! It actually looked good. The kids were standing around and Adalae said, "is that Mrs. McCall?" They thought it was cool. You look great with or without hair. I am so proud of you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the mohawk! That is a very popular hairstyle right now! You are such a special, beautiful lady and you look fabulous! You continue to amaze me with your positive attitude! You are inspiring so many people!! We love you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG......You are STILL beautiful. You are truly AMAZING!I love you, my friend.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Without any exagerating at all and in the truest words I know, you are completely and amazingly beautiful without hair! Now I see God's plan; you can inspire the whole world full of people with your beauty and grace; I'm covered with chill bumps because you are so awesomely wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love, pride andwonder, Aun Jean

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow....seeing this gives Amber and I a sense of deja-vu. Angela..your are an awesome woman and we are praying for you. Charles-I commend you on shaving your head...the next time I order a batch of BABE t-shirts...I am sending one your way sir!

    Keep fighting! We are proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look FAB! I am so very proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like I've said before, you are beautiful inside and out! Dang girl, you look adorable with a bald head. You are such a giving person for being so willing to share your whole experience. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! You are beautiful with long hair,short hair, mohawk or shaved. Your sweet soul just shines through your eyes, Angela. Thank you for being such a gift to those around you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love, love, love. Is Charles holding your hand in the one picture? That's perfection. I wish I could just squeeeeze you with a big hug every day. You are stunning and amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that picture as well...you have a very supportive husband who loves you very much...way to take control of such a bad situation! You are going to get over this speed bump and back to your normal life. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Angela:

    You look great...your beauty is definitely still shining through!! I think having your family experience this with you was so smart. Prayers continuing to be said for you.

    Mary Anne Byrd

    ReplyDelete