Would you like an email notification of new blog entries?

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Monday, July 11, 2011

I started writing this about 2 weeks ago...I'll come back and add more when I learn more....


Well, I've had some time to read and educate myself a bit about my specific type of breast cancer - "triple negative" breast cancer.  I must say, I'm a bit scared about the words "rare", "aggressive" and "recurrence". 

I found this website:  http://www.tnbcfoundation.org/  which was founded by friends of a 35 year old woman who died 2 1/2 years after her diagnosis of triple negative breast cancer.  It is a very helpful website with the most information I've found so far.

When I first was learning about my situation, my head was spinning and didn't stop....I was teaching school....having multiple surgeries....taking care of my twins, and there was very little time to read about it....and then, I remember trying to focus and comprehend what I was reading, and I couldn't.  Now, I have some time, and realize that it is important that I educate myself because my type of breast cancer is more likely to recur and it is possible that I have a gene that puts me at high risk for ovarian cancer.  I will be requesting the blood test that will tell if I have the gene that puts me at risk for ovarian cancer...it is called BRCA1 and if I have that, my risk is 40-50%. 

I'm calling tomorrow to make an appointment with Dr. Brooks for genetic counseling that may (hopefully) lead to genetic testing.  I'd like to know if I have that gene mutation!

This category of triple negative breast cancer has only been (relatively) recently defined, and there is still a lot to learn.

On a more upbeat note, I've learned in my late night searching about eating healthier to give your body the tools it needs to stay healthy.  Sign me up for that! 

Here's some websites that appealed to me:
http://www.40bladesofgrass.com/

1 comment:

  1. I checked out your link. Sounds like a wonderful place to assist developing a healthy way of living.

    ReplyDelete