Would you like an email notification of new blog entries?

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Learning about Triple Negative Breast Cancer

I am reading a little more about my type of breast cancer and realize that scientists really don't know much about this 'newly' discovered sub-type of breast cancer.  There are sub-types within the triple negative category, that were just recently discussed in a June 2011 journal article. 

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/06/110627184000.htm

I am thanking the Lord that I found my cancer before it spread to the lymphnodes.  I just read a statistic that said less than 30% of triple negative breast cancer patients with metastatic cancer survive more than 5 years. 

Several people have asked me why the doctors are doing chemotherapy since they were able to get clear margins, which means they got the whole tumor.  My answer has been that they use it as 'insurance' to be doubly sure.....and I now know that there's no way to know if individual cancer cells have begun making their way into other areas of the body, so the goal of chemo is to kill those cells.

I'm beginning to learn that it is such a new area being explored in the cancer world and that funding for research is very important.  The Susan G. Komen Foundation has partnered with the Triple Negative Breast Cancer Foundation to fund a think tank in hopes of coming up with therapies that are more effective against triple negative cancer.  That gives me some much needed encouragement.

As I read, I consistently see that triple negative cancer is more aggressive, harder to treat, and more likely to recur than most other types. 

You may be thinking - "stop reading".  But, here's the thing.  When I go to my appointments with the surgeon and with the oncologist, there is no education (except by the nurses who are wonderful).  There is hardly any conversation at all.  It is only because I am educating myself that I know what I know about triple negative breast cancer.  Don't get me wrong.  I think that my doctors are very, very skilled and up to date with research, which is the most important thing.  But, I feel I need to know what I'm up against.

As Charles and I were driving to Target tonight, I just kept looking back at the girls and thinking how terrible it would be if I didn't get to be with my girls for as long as I wish....it is a terrible thought that I can't entertain for very long.  But it makes me want to journal all the more for them my thoughts about all kinds of things...which I'll spare you all. 

I go for Chemo #4 tomorrow...and I hope to meet another amazing survivor like I did last time that gives me a new dose of big time hope. 

Thanks for reading my blog.  I hope today for you is a great day and that you can truly live in the moment.  I'm trying to do that more and more and it is fun and wonderful!

2 comments:

  1. HUGS and prayers for you all! Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela, I had lunch with Linda today and have just learned what you have been living with for these past many months. The most important thing I know to say is that I love you, and I hope and pray that I can walk with you from now on. I have just finished reading every entry on your blog, and I am so proud of you and humbled that I am blessed to know you! Just this morning, I thought of you when I woke up. I was putting in eye drops and trying to focus when it struck me that I (still) really like the color of the walls in my bedroom. Of course, my next thought was of the fun we had when you came over to help me paint them. That was so many years ago now, but memories like that can only be God's gift. I will call you tomorrow, and on Monday, I will schedule a mammogram. Much love, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete