Would you like an email notification of new blog entries?

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Saturday, May 7, 2011

First "Relay for Life" for me.....

I learned a lot as I was walking around the track with a survivor and then talking to others about chemo:
  • It is allllll your hair that you lose....including your eyebrows and eyelashes!  Yikes!  Didn't know that!
  • It will likely fall out around the 14th day of treatment.  That's sooner than I thought....I had read more like the 21st day.
  • Ken - local survivor and cosmetologist -recommended by a friend - his tip....bring your husband for the day you need to have your hair shaved so that you can share that moment together and not have to go home and have a big moment again....makes me think I may want the girls to be there too...   Ken will handle that appointment beautifully it sounds like.
  • As you lose your hair it will start to 'mat' with the hair that is still attached...it will get to a point where you want to shave it
  • Baseball caps and Sunhats may be more comfortable than wigs....
  • I'm probably going to need to eat more fiber as I go through the treatments...sounds like my system will need it.
I got my first of probably two hair cuts yesterday.  It was time, regardless.  I like it.....nothing drastic.  But you know, I do feel lots of emotions about the hair loss.  For anyone, I think it probably is one of the biggest mental hurdles that there is during the treatment part of things.  I have almost always had long hair....back when I was younger, my hair was one of my better features.....it kind of has been a big part of my identity....and to think of it all being gone, and my loved ones having to see me bald, and having to put them in the position of figuring out how to respond to my new look is something I wish I could spare them......Charles waking up to a bald wife.....my girls trying to make sense of such a different looking Mommy.....looking in the mirror at myself.....how long will it take before it starts to grow back....what will it look like when it does grow back.....all those things and more are in my thoughts. 

BUT, I do feel a STRONG sense of strength drawn from the indescribable support network that I have and the foundation of love and friendship in my life.  I know that this is temporary.  I know that I am loved.  I know that there is much more to me than my hair.  I know that I will be stronger on the other side of this.  I know that I am so very thankful that I get to LIVE and being bald is a small thing in comparison to what so many other people have to deal with in their life.  So, I share these thoughts NOT to elicit sympathy -REALLY.  I share them because I want to one day provide some comfort and comradery to a future friend, loved one, or stranger who will face these moments.

I have been SO comforted by talking to Pam, Mrs. Sandy, Mary Anne, and Aunt Jan.  To know these strong women and hear from them helpful and informative tidbits (big-bits) is priceless. 

As I type this, my girls are crawling around on the floor....10 days away from their 1st birthday!  They have both been saying "mama" all morning.  Tomorrow's mother's day.  Do not feel sorry for this lucky duck.  I am truly having a wonderful morning!   Love to you allllll.

4 comments:

  1. Losing her hair was the hardest things for my sister to deal with, she did have a great head of hair, as you have. Her granddaughter shaved her hair the first time and as I watched I cried with her and then went and kissed her on top of her bald head and told her how beautiful she was and how much I loved her. Having a bald head does not change what or whom you are, just makes you more special. Thinking of you daily, and you are such a witness and inspiration. Much love to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela, I thought losing my hair was the worst part of the whole deal. I expected chemo to be horrible and, for me, it wasn't. (I was teaching but did not have year old twins to care for.) I'm thankful that you will be able to have some treatments during the summer. But there is no doubt that something is amiss when there is no hair on your head. I thought that denial was out of the question when there was no hair. A fellow teacher shaved my head after school one day. (She had been my beautician before she became a teacher.)
    My hair started to come back in right after the last treatment. Mine came in curly for the first year. The only time I had curly hair in my life. I was so excited to be through with my wig. I saw this in a Guidepost devotional and thought of you. A survivor was commenting on her clean bill of health and quoted this scripture: Psalm 103:2-4 "Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits: Who forgiveth all iniquities; who healeth all they diseases...who crowneth thee with lovingkindness..." and a wig!
    Love to you and your family. Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you now! Love you! (((HUG)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angela, I think you should "reframe" this situation! You will be temporarily "hair challenged" for just a little while, but always remember that it is your beautiful smile and kind spirit for which you are known. I know that won't change! Your hair will grow back, friend, and I hope it will be curly like Pam's (at least for a little while)!!!

    ReplyDelete