Would you like an email notification of new blog entries?

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Advice - Free for the Taking!

If you are reading this blog, you're probably old enough to agree that you've been given advice in your lifetime that you wish you had followed.....but back when it was given, you thought....that's you, not me.

Here's a few nuggest of advice that I hope may help some of my loved one:
  • Get "whole life" insurance now.  If you are healthy, it is less expensive.  Your children will thank you for it.  At the very least, get enough to pay for your funeral so that your kids don't have that burden.  Get it now before you have a serious diagnosis come up.  My cancer diagnosis came up right when I was at the pinnacle of my life...truly.  Charles and I have term life insurance (ends around 65 or 70).  Now, though, to insure me with a cancer diagnosis will be more difficult and costly. 
  • If you have an option to add a supplemental "Cancer Coverage" (like we do in KCSD), do it.  I almost signed up for it last year.  I just didn't take the time to.  :(
  • If you have done a self breast exam recently - YAY!  But, the tendency is to be proud of yourself for doing it and then forget about it for another few months or a year.  Why should you do one monthly?  Because you will start to know what your "baseline" or "normal" breast feel like, lumps and all, and then when something changes....you'll know it. 
  • Did you know men can get breast cancer?  They can!
  • Schedule your mammogram.  Call your gynecologist and let them know that you'd like to have your annual mammogram.  Different insurance will cover various age ranges, etc. If you want information about free mammograms, I will be happy to give it to you.  I'll post it here when I can.

1 comment:

  1. The tip on the cancer policy is wonderful-especially if there is family history. Purchase it when you are young and it's cheap, keep it if you move to a different employer and don't let the premiums lapse! I've seen it make a world of difference to people.

    ReplyDelete