Would you like an email notification of new blog entries?

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Today I Met with the "Chemo" Doctor - Medical Oncologist

I met Dr. Butler today....I liked him. 
Here's the summary of the appointment:
  • 6 rounds of chemotherapy - it goes like this:  get a treatment....wait 3 weeks....get another treatment......
  • PET Scan this Thursday to see if the cancer has spread anywhere else....he said I have about a 5% chance of that.....I promise you, I'm going to buy a lottery ticket if I fall in that 5%......fingers crossed that they'll be able to give me the results this Friday before they close.
  • I'll be radioactive when I leave that appointment and cannot be around the girls for at least 18 hours....so, maybe I'll find myself a nice little hotel.....
  • Next Monday or Tuesday, I'll have a 'port' surgically inserted into my upper chest area....this will make it easier on me during the treatments because they won't have to do an IV each time....and I am glad for that!  I hate those things so much.
  • Next Thursday, I'll have a follow up appointment with Dr. Butler, I think to check the port and to review the PET Scan
  • Radiation will follow the chemotherapy....it will not be a big deal....5 days a week for 6 weeks if I understood it correctly
  • Because my lymphnodes were clear and I'm getting chemo and radiation, I will have a little over 10% chance of my cancer recurring
  • It is very rare to have a triple negative result on your hormone receptors....and that's what I have....so it limits them as to what medicines they can use on me....but there is a possiblity of a trial that I could participate in that I'll find out more about later.
This morning, I saw a show on TV as I was walking through the house and it grounded me and gave me incredible perspective.  I was already feeling a sense of strength, etc., but I saw children who are facing terrible prognoses and I realized that truly, I am blessed.  I am so sorry that any child and their family has to face what those children were dealing with.....I am thankful that it is me and not someone I love. 

Have you done your self breast exam yet?  Huh?  Huh?  Huh?

4 comments:

  1. You are amazing. Kindness and generosity are at the heart of your news-sharing just like they ooze out of your pores every day of your life. You're gonna be fine ... I am confident! In any moments that you're not feelin' fine ... call me. Whatever you need. Name it. I am here for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Andrea! I second everything you said!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had my mammies grammed today! Holding you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Thanks for the blog...it is really incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with you girl all the way! With being a breast cancer survivor and also one that had triple negative breast cancer..i know exactly what you are going through ..and i am here for you anytime. I was diagnosed in 2008 and have been in medical remission since Dec. 2009. I also used to be in the medical field and have a breast cancer support group along with my husband on FB...So you will always have support..

    ReplyDelete