Would you like an email notification of new blog entries?

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Time Line

March 12, 2011
I had a pain in my underarm area...reached up to feel it....and I felt a lump about the size of a hushpuppy.

March 17, 2011
Scheduled a mammogram.

March 18, 2011
Mammogram, Ultrasound, and Biopsy done

March 21, 2011
Got results from the biopsy.
Tumor was malignant.
Inconclusive as to what type of cancer it was.....and what the hormone marker results were.

March 22, 2011
Informally met with a surgeon in my OB's office. 
Jan and Sylvia gave me the warmest greeting you could ever get.
He reviewed my films and recommended a bi-lateral mastectomy "every day of the week and twice on Sunday".
Went to my Dad's house and told him and his wife.  The sound of my Dad's fork hitting his plate punctuated his deep pain at hearing the news. 

March 24, 2011
Met with Dr. Sweatman in his office. 
Met Daphne.
Dr. Sweatman recommended a lumpectomy, sentinel node biopsy, and predicted that
it would be "papillary carcinoma" which would mean I was super fortunate because I would likely not need any chemotherapy or radiation.

March 30, 2011
My case is presented by Dr. Sweatman at the "breast conference" and all 20ish medical professionals in the room agreed that it was probably the best kind of breast cancer, papillary carcinoma, and I would likely only need a lumpectomy.

April 6, 2011
Lumpectomy Outpatient Surgery
Scariest part of all was the nuclear injections that had to be given in such a sensitive area.
Funniest part is that it was done by two men carrying a little metal box that had the radioactive symbol on it - who looked like some people on the show "Modern Family".

April 11, 2011
Pathology Results come back.
Daphne called me very late in the day and lovingly told me the results were not what Dr. Sweatman expected.
Stage 2, High Grade (9 on a scale of 1-9), Invasive Ductal Carcinoma
All 6 Lymphnodes were clear - means it most likely has not spread to other areas of my body
Margins were clear - means they got the whole tumor

April 14, 2011
Follow Up Appointment with Dr. Sweatman
My hormone markers were triple negative which means I am not a candidate for using some of the medicines that they have....so, my two treatment options will be chemo & radiation
He recommends Dr. Butler as my Medical Oncologist (chemo doctor)
Appointment scheduled for this coming Tuesday
*On this day, my Dad became seriously ill due to a blood infection....he was rushed to the hospital in an ambulance.  I followed behind, and the giant of chemotherapy was squashed down to an annoying speedbump.  Thanks to Daddy's wife, he got help quickly, and is in the hospital getting better.

April 15, 2011
Shared my news with my students and colleagues and friends and family

1 comment:

  1. Hi Angela - Ginger's old college roomate Susan here. There's not much tangible I can do for you here in New York, but please know that you and your family have been added to our prayer circle.

    Thanks for this blog - isnt' technology great! I know a couple of other people who have done the same thing during serious illness, and it's wonderful for all. It keeps loved ones informed without constantly wearing out you and your family.

    Your reference to a lump "the size of a hushpuppy" made me smile. I never knew what a hushpuppy was until I met the Brown Family.

    ReplyDelete