Would you like an email notification of new blog entries?

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Thursday, April 21, 2011

PET/CT Scan Appointment

Summary of Appointment:
  • Put your things in a nice little cozy room
  • Go with nurse to lab to get your blood sugar checked & your IV injection of radioactive stuff
  • Sit in that little cozy room with warm blankets over you...watch tv....read....drink a very strange smelling liquid to help the contrast be high in your images
  • After an hour, go to the imaging room...lay on table....get directions
  • CT image is taken in about 3 minutes
  • PET scan image is taken in segments and takes about 25 minutes
  • stay completely still
  • nice technician tells you "you did great" and "flush twice" - ha!
  • you get to leave!!
  • eat whatever you want......TACO Bell was calling my name
The last 24 hours have been a roller coaster ride with lots of highs and some lows.  I'll try to make my summary short and sweet.  Last night, after the girls went to sleep, I got out my instructions for the PET/CT scan to be sure that I followed all the directions, as a good teacher would.  As I got to the 4th direction on the sheet, I realized I had reallllly messed up.  It explained that you shouldn't have carbs, sweets, fruits, etc. on the day PRIOR and the day of your scan.  Well, if they could have seen me shoving candied peach rings that Tajia had given me in as I worked feverishly to get stuff ready for my sub after school on Wednesday, they would have told me I had to wait about 24 days instead of hours to get my scan.   Sugar is apparently metabolized by cancer rapidly and they need you to starve your body of it before your injection.   Your radioactive injection. 

Anyway, I called and confessed my dietary sins to the scheduling person, Laura, and she checked with the imaging dept. to see if I should reschedule...they said drink tons of water and come on in.  So, as I was greeted warmly by Carolyn the nurse who would give me my radioactive injection, I confessed again and started crying.  I didn't see that coming.  She handled it beautifully and got me some Kleenex.  She began to tell me that I was blessed in  many ways and explained that they caught it early, etc.  I told her that I knew I was beyond blessed....my tears were largely due to being tired. 

I think another reason for my tears was realizing that I was starting the process and it became more real.  Having such strong strange things injected into you is just weird.  Also, as you walk to the places you're supposed to be in the building you pass others...some who look strong and healthy and some who look tired and weak....and you want to walk up and hug the women who have their baseball caps and have lost their hair.  Your first thought is that they look weak and you feel sorry for them.  But, I'm guessing that the truth is that they are STRONG.  They've been through a lot and have learned so much about themselves and this life. 

So, I share that to say that I know some of you have been worried that maybe I've been in denial or something because I seem to be more happy than seems normal :) and I guess today I learned that there will be dips in my roller coaster ride where I'll cry a good bit.  But, all the while will be aware of my blessings and all the voices out there telling me that I am loved and strong.  (Don't worry....I'm not letting y'alls words of encouragement go to my head too much....I know who I am and what my shortcomings are......your words of encouragement, though, are being stored up inside me for when I need them.)

What you, my friends and family, may not realize is that if I seem strong to you, it is BECAUSE of you and your support....your emailed words that I don't always get a chance to respond to....the words spoken in the hallway at school....the texts that lift me up all day long....the hugs and all the well wishes and cards and actions that show that I am a lucky duck!

Funny thing that happened is that I went to Kohls afterwards and heeded the directions to stay approximately 7 feet away from small children and pregnant women.  I just wanted to get Macy and Molly an Easter dress....but, because I kept having to move to a different area, I kept shopping and shopping and then when I was ready to go to the register....well, there would be a mom with a baby or a stroller and I would have to hang out waiting for the all clear.  So, I kept shopping.  Retail therapy can be quite an expensive trip if you're radioactive!

I totally fell apart in CVS as I was trying to pick up a prescription and Harry - yep, I'm naming you buddy - was absolutely, unbelieveably uncaring and rude and I just fell apart.  The short of it was that I couldn't wait for my prescription at the register because a family with a child got in line behind me....so, due to my 'radiant' state, I went to the far right area and asked if he could help me there.  Oh mercy.  Harry represented the folks in the world who must have not been shown kindness/compassion....and need to meet my friends and family and learn what kindness and compassion are all about.  The sweet, sincere woman behind me in line reminded me of all of you.  I wish I knew her name and address.  I probably would drive to her house to thank her.  She showed true compassion and caring immediately.

So, you see, I'm not so strong.  But what I am is blessed.  Happy.  Thankful. 

Your concern and your words of support feed my soul and will carry me through this journey.  In fact, as I took my slow ride through the PET/CT tube today, I played some of your words back to me. 

PS - My sweet ol' husband just delivered a salad to me in my radioactive bunker here at the Holiday Inn and when I apologized for leaving him alone with two babies tonight, he said, "Don't you worry about that."  I love him.

4 comments:

  1. I'm about to go get that Harry!!!! He is going to get it! I'm so glad you started this blog so I can keep up with you. I miss you so much. Sending all my love your way! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could be with you in your bunker for an old school girly sleep over. I'd bring you lots of yummy snacks, watch funny girl movies with you, and we could swap stories about our little cuties. I love you dearly, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving you and wrapping my arms around you sweet Angela. May you feel the presence of the Holy Spirit lifting you up and filling you with peace so that you might rest and renew your energy. You will fight the good fight, you will be angry,(that is okay) but you will win, your courage will carry you through the rough seas as you visualize all who love and care about you. Praying for you and yours. LSL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully written Angela. I love you and hope you got some much deserved rest. I will miss seeing ya'll on Easter, but my heart will be with ya'll. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete