Would you like an email notification of new blog entries?

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Thursday, April 28, 2011

PET SCAN Follow Up & Chemo Education Class

It is so encouraging to me when people tell me they've been reading my blog.  Thank you for 'being here'.

Today I went to my follow up appointment with Dr. Butler.  I think the purpose of it was to discuss my PET/CT scan.  I asked how precise a PET/CT scan was....for example, could it detect cancer at a cellular level.  He chuckled and said there's nothing out there that can do that (yet), but this can detect cancer down to 5 mm in size.  That sounds good to me!

It was a very fast appointment.  He told me that I'd need to schedule a Chemo Education Class and then schedule my first treatment. 

I asked if it was possible to 'get educated' while I was there because it is difficult on everyone when I have to leave early from school. Thankfully, Mrs. Ann in the infusion department was willing to meet with me and tell me tons of information about the treatments. 
  • 1st Chemo Treatment - May 18, 2011 (Yay for them letting me wait until after the girls' birthday!  One day after, but, still!)
  • Treatments last approximately 4 hours - some of that time is vitals, bloodwork, fluids through IVs, nauseau meds, then the 2 chemo medicines
  • Taxotere and Cytoxan are my two chemo medicines
  • Get a shot on the day after chemo, each time, of Neulasta which helps boost your white blood cell counts.....this shot can be done at home
  • She said that the day of the injection and the next day, I would feel fine...the 3rd and 4th day is when I'll feel the fatigue....and then I'll start to feel better gradually...the fatigue builds because just when you think you're starting to feel all better again, it is time for your next treatment
  • There are several products they recommend for helping to prevent some of the side effects like "Biotene Mouthwash" and "Tea Tree Oil"
  • She discussed the hair loss with me....she said it would probably be a gradual loss....she gave me a list of places to go and get fitted for wigs or to shop for hats, scarves, etc.
  • Follow up with Dr. Butler to check my blood cell counts after treatments
  • The Neulasta shot is intended to help keep your white blood cell counts up so that you're not so easily prone to catch colds, infections, etc.
  • Drinking 2 quarts of water a day helps minimize side effects
  • Eating protiens, fruits and something else (can't remember) helps as well
  • Being active - taking walks - is encouraged during the treatment cycles
So, now I know the next time that I will need some help is Saturday, May 21.  It would be great to split the day into two shifts - maybe 9:00 - 1:00 and 1:00 - 5:00 - (Charles will be working) and have two people each shift come...to keep each other company...and have lots of hands for the girls..... so that I could take a nap when needed on that day.   If you and a friend are able to help me with my girls, please email me at thehappyclicker@gmail.com .... thanks so much!  I know it is weird for a person to put on the world wide web that she needs help...but it is for my girls' sake.  :)

PS - The Mammy Gram Challenge is off to a slow start - do you think we could have 5 people schedule Mammograms before I go for my first chemo treatment?  Sherry has scheduled one and posted it on the Mammy Gram Challenge entry comment area.  That's ONE....my goal is 5 for each treatment cycle.  Help me out, friends!  :)

3 comments:

  1. I have a gyn appointment in 2 weeks. That's when I get my script for mammograms, so even though I don't have an appointment yet, do think that counts for your challenge?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we were close enough to help you out! I would LOVE to watch those girls!

    ReplyDelete